Sunday 1 June 2014

First post + Hard Surface Challenges

Afternoon all,

So after a while of thinking, I realised that I integrate my less..portfolio worthy art into my portfolio. So, from now onwards I will be putting all of my WIP art onto this blog before I finalise each piece and integrate it into my portfolio.

A few weeks ago, myself and an ex-colleague Chris Brown (http://www.2dcb.com/) decided that we would take part in the Polycount.com "Hard Surface Challenge". Rather than taking it vanilla, we would try and incorporate an element of discovery into it. We are both huge fans of Zbrush, but we decided that Chris would use Zbrush only, and I would use 3dsmax only. We would time ourselves and then compare both the accuracy of our recreations and the time it takes to put it together.

The concept:
My offering: (modelled in 3dsmax and rendered with Keyshot)

Chris' entry can be seen here.

Chris' entry was put together in 5 1/2 hours, where mine took close to 14 hours to model and render. After some discussion we both agreed that a method that takes into account both 3dsmax and Zbrush would give the best combination of speed, accuracy and cleanliness of the model.

No comments:

Post a Comment