Thursday 19 June 2014

More work on the modular chunks + fixed concrete panels.

A quick update, I have spent the last couple of weeks reworking some of the bakes and going through one by and one and doing a first pass on the textures/specular maps so that I can polish them off once I have made the rest of the scene. I have also been putting together all of the modular sets, pipes, cables, concrete panels etc, basically a solid foundation for the rest of the scene. I'm abit more confident in the close-up fidelity, as previously some of the areas (particularly the concrete panels) looked pretty ropey up close due to generally trying to map them in a backwards fashion that UE4 didn't really like.

I am now using more polies in the edges of the concrete, rather than relying on normal maps. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey Scott! I'm a very big fan of your work, it's just unbelievable and just looking at your new project in UE4, and since I'm working on UE4 a time ago, I want to ask you something, how do you do to give that amazing look to your scenes? Post process, LUTs? And of those do you think are the most important ones? Again, really incredible work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Juan, I really appreciate the kind words!

      In the scene I have used a large post processing volume with LUT's, some bloom, and some colour correction. The key is subtlety in some respects (I keep telling myself that at-least..) so making sure the flares and bloom aren't over the top and that all of the textures sit well together is key to making a believable scene. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Be sure I will take in consideration your tips! If I get more questions about environments, can I ask you in here?

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete